As I sit here at work, ever-so diligently, I have the opportunity to people watch.
Now, before you get all frazzled, I am not stereotyping.
I get to watch the good, the bad, the pretty, and the ugly... ALL DAY... equally.
One thing I cannot stand to see (aside from the butt cracks and the nose picking)
is parents being, well, unparent-like.
It drives me insane to see toddlers/children manipulating their parents and the
absence of discipline acted upon such behavior.
These tiny humans know exactly what they're doing when they start
screaming bloody-murder because you took their Elmo stuffed animal away.
These minuscule miracles understand that when you're on an outing and there are other folks around, there is hell to be raised.
Trust me, your children know how and when to start being the farthest thing from a ray of sunshine.
So as I sit here hiding behind my laptop and buried in my kiosk, I ask myself,
"Do I do this too?"
"Do I do this too?"
110% GUILTY.
There is nothing more obnoxious than a screaming child in a public place.
Aside from the glaring eyes, the hateful whispers, and the steady stream of tears flowing from
your baby's eyes, the piercing cry that you've grown accustomed to is now
embarrassing and so untimely.
embarrassing and so untimely.
As soon as the corners of your child's mouth start to tighten,
the "uh-oh" switch goes from
the "uh-oh" switch goes from
dead-asleep to sugar rush is less than a blink.
Although we are all notoriously responsible for this act, I will forever be
annoyed by it's presence.
annoyed by it's presence.
Back in the day, when a good ass-whoopin' was acceptable,
parents weren't so easily shaped.
parents weren't so easily shaped.
When your mother told you to do something, you did it and there
weren't any questions forming.
weren't any questions forming.
Now, in 2014, some people make it seem like back-talk is typical. Actually, some
parents even go as far as thinking this disgusting attitude is "cute."
Despite how terribly wrong and far from appealing these instances are, I think it is important to
reinforce discipline in and outside of the home.
By no means am I suggesting you take your child home and verbally or physically abuse them to get your point across. Simply, let your children know their place and emphasize the roles you both play.
This might be easier said than done and it might take some practice, but it's easily accomplished.
Instead of saying, "I'm the parent and you need to listen to what I say because I say so..."
try saying something like, "I understand that you are unhappy. I know you really wanted that toy, but you have to trust that I made the right decision for you. It's important to accept that life doesn't always go as planned. Maybe next time, with good behavior, Mommy will let you pick out an even better toy. "
Yes, it sounds cookie cutter.
But within that time of you explaining yourself,
your child has calmed himself down and you can direct his attention elsewhere.
Act. Don't react.





I couldn't agree with you more! I love people watching too ha ha. It drives me nuts when parents think it is "cute" when their child acts out. Do they realize that it is only going to get worse? I discipline my boys inside and outside of our home. I don't care if people stare while I lecture them ha ha.
ReplyDeleteHow about the ones who are like *gasp* is she really yelling at her child in front of 100 people?
DeleteYES. YES I AM
I'm about to whip out the pointer-finger and wave it a little bit, too! #lollllll
people watching is my favorite past time!
ReplyDeleteoooo, girl we should have "bring a friend to work day." our kiosk is set up in Wal-Mart. TELL ME i'm not in the perfect position for people-watching!
Delete